Friday, July 01, 2016

haven't learned anything


I went to a local library today with my children. 

We discovered a maker-space and asked if we could print out some lego. We could, so we did. An hour and a half later we returned to retrieve the completed piece.

Final cost $5.05 and 1.5 hours of time. Seemed expensive...but I had no benchmark to measure from, so I paid. It made me think about the last few days of my school year.

On exam review day a student challenged their final mark on both the exam and the culminating task. I am always open to these discussions and encourage students to think critically about their needs and wants in my classes. 

As such at the beginning of each semester I explain that each student will be able to explain and describe their learning without any references to marks by semester end.

This student looked at their final marks and asked 'Why's my mark was so low?'

20160714-142258-17trfpi.jpg

'What have you learned?' I asked.

'I haven't learned anything obviously...'

'Then your mark is on point from what I have observed of your learning, what have I missed?'

'What do you mean?' Anger bubbled in the question.

'Have you learned more than what I observed in class? What did I miss?'

The student then proceeded to explain their thoughts and observations from class, sometimes there was curriculum connections, other times just keen observation. 

Ultimately, the student demonstrated a depth of learning that indeed did not surface on their final summatives.

Final cost 1.5 hours of my time.

What should I have done? 

Change the mark or leave the mark as is? 

What would you have done?
Post a Comment