Wednesday, June 01, 2016

digitally actually me

I've spent a tonne of time building my digital self.

In this past year I have lost myself in the Google ecosystem. So Cool.

Modern Learning? I'm in!
I have reconnected with Twitter...300 posts and check out those analytics!!

Teacher Blog? Why not!

New iPhone? That was easy!

My email has hit INBOX ZERO every day for the last month. ZING!

I have reconnected with 3 friends from high school via Facebook. WOOT!

TEDEd...bring it on!

EdTech presentation? U betcha!

Flipboard, Instagram, G+, Podcasts, WordFeud, Snapchat... [sigh]

And, despite all of this, I feel unenthused about my tech use. And I am bugged about that.

A major reason for my connectedness and digital use is that it makes work fun...right now though I feel that the fun is becoming work.

In many ways this has been the best work year of my life. The counter side to this view is that it was also a year of loss.

Regardless of the view, a reconnection with Actual Me will be both challenging and revelatory.

My garden is beckoning. My dog needs walking. My kids want to go out and play. My spouse wants a date night...

The actual me could use some tending so my actual life will be everything for the next two months.

I have decided to go partially offline for the summer- deep enough to feel the distance to the shore, but not so far that the undertow pulls me out of relations with my circles.
So here is what I will try...
  1. My phone will be for calls only.
  2. My laptop will hibernate in it's dock.
  3. My social media connections will wait.
  4. My digital work connections will wait.
  5. My XBOX One will wait.
  6. I will play with my kids.
  7. I will hang out with my spouse.
  8. I will walk my dog.
  9. I will read.
  10. I will write.
  11. I will sleep.
  12. I will meditate.
  13. I will exercise.
I will meet up and talk and connect in real time and I hope to discover...well, I am not sure what I will discover.

See you in September.

Listening to... Keys N Krates // USS // Gold Panda
Thinking about... Ken Robinson // Ken Robinson  //  'What is my social media plan?'
Thanks to... @giuliaforsythe for the viz note
Post a Comment